Monday, December 01, 2008

Blake's Adventures - Part One

I hope not to have too many of these posts, but when they start at 13 months old a mother has to wonder. As previously stated on my blog, the girls were never so adventurous or daring as Blake. He climbs everything. He moves things around so he can use items to stand on and climb up something. It is insane. He can scale the baby gate, climb from a small chair to the kiddie table and to the island in our kitchen. He climbs on top of the coffee tables, benches, and rocking chairs. I can't keep up.

Yesterday he was standing on a stool in the wet bathroom and slipped. He fell face first onto the metal garbage can and split his cheek open. We told our friend Matt (who is an ER doctor) that we gave Blake the middle name Matthew so we could call with concerns whenever we wanted. After much discussion (and the fact that it wouldn't stop bleeding) we decided to take him to an urgent care office to get fixed up. Mind you, it is Sunday afternoon. I am at the theater 8am - 12:45, go home for lunch, naps, and bath, and head out the door around 4:30 to go to the keys. NOT a convenient time for this to happen! I didn't even get to eat lunch!
So I left Travis home with the sleeping girls and headed to Urgent Care on Campbell Dr. I was doing fine with all of it at first. I didn't think twice about taking him. However, I struggle with my own blood, needles, etc. I just didn't think it was that big of a deal I was wrong. They strapped him on the "papoose board" to keep him from moving. He screamed his fool head off. I held his hand, talked sweet to him, and the doctor began cleaning the wound and trying to stop the bleeding so he could glue it up. I started to sweat and get really dizzy. I know how I feel when I pass out. THIS was it. I put my head down and took some deep breaths. It wasn't helping. So I left Blake screaming and sat down to put my head in between my legs. The room was spinning, I was in a cold sweat, and I could feel the blood leaving my head. Fortunately I did not faint. However I did come up with a new Johnson Family rule... if they are bleeding daddy takes them.
He is doing fine today and his boo boo looks great. One funny thing the doctor told me was to not get it wet for 3 days. Yeah, he is 13 months old! How does that work? We have been doing good so far though. He is such a ham!

Did he learn his lesson? No. About 10 minutes after he fell, he was climbing up the girls' princess chairs. Life is an adventure with a son for sure!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never a dull moment!

And I would like to say a hearty "Amen" to your last sentence!!!!!!

-Grammy (Mom)

Paige said...

I'm glad Blake is okay.

And oh boy....I will start mentally preparing myself for when Logan starts to climb!!!