Monday, November 12, 2007

An expensive lesson

It was gonna happen. With three kids all under the age of 4, a careless mistake was gonna get me. It did yesterday. I thought we were doing good. Got out the door with everything we would need to be gone for 14 hours with 3 young kids. Got to church on time with everyone dressed and fed. I was proud of myself for remembering to lock the door as I was got out of the car. I got Blake, shut the door, and then Travis asked me for the keys. There they were, plain as day inside of the car. An hour from home and locked out of the car. My heart sank.

After I got over my frustration, I remembered watching Pollyanna with Kourtney when my mom was here. It was one of my favorite shows as a kid. Pollyanna is always trying to find good things in situations even when it seems there isn't one. So I became thankful. Thankful that Blake wasn't locked in the car - then we would have been paying for glass repair instead of a locksmith. Thankful that even though my diaper bag was locked in the car Blake could still eat because I am nursing and the church had diapers I could use. And then my mind turned to the car accident Travis and I saw on the turnpike Saturday. Two cars flipped upside down and people crying... we knew what happened. So then I was thankful it was just my dumb keys in the car and nothing serious had happened.

Yes, I had a $70 lesson in thankfulness. Instead of thinking how I could have gotten a new outfit, gone on a nice date, or had a pedicure, I will be thankful. Maybe you should try to put things in perspective too.

I like how Carrie Underwood says it in her song "So Small," "...sometimes that mountain you've been climbing is just a grain of sand." Find something around you to be thankful for today despite the little things around you that may be getting to you!

No comments: