Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The birth story (short version)

Contractions started at 6am sharp. They were every 10 minutes and I knew it was the real thing after about an hour. It was crazy because we were trying to decide if Travis should go preach at church or stay home! At 7:30 we decided he should go at least do the 9am service. I knew he was conflicted as he walked out the door, but I knew it is what he should do. My contractions stayed constant and if I was moving around they were every 4-5 minutes. If I was sitting they were every 10 minutes. I called Edna (the best midwife EVER) and we arranged for when she should come over.

Travis got back from church around 10:30 and Edna came around 11:30. She checked me and I was 5 cm.
She took my vitals and told me to go walking. Then she set everything up and left for a while so I could just keep walking. Travis and I headed outside to walk... and then quickly turned around when we realized how dumb it was to walk at noon in South Florida (and how much we DIDN'T want to run into neighbors). So I did laps in our house with Kourtney (good thing our house is big). She was a great partner. I would stop for a contraction and she would rub my back and pat me and then start walking again! Travis asked at what point it was inappropriate for him to keep watching football. I told him to watch away and I even watched a few drives with him - very fitting that his son would be born on a football day.

Edna came back and checked me around 2:30 and I was 6-7 cm. The contractions were getting more intense and I was starting to feel a little crazy with them. At 3:00 I asked if I could get in the tub so they began to prepare the water. My water broke at 3:15 before I got in the tub. When I got in the water it felt awesome for the pain. I didn't want Travis to touch me during contractions. I just wanted to squeeze his hand off. He was a great coach and did everything I needed without me even telling him.

The water wasn't working for me because there was nothing really to hold on to. So I got out and he was delivered on the bed!

Blake Matthew Johnson
October 21, 2007 at 5:40 PM
8 lbs, 14 oz
22 inches long

Of course the first thing I did was look to make sure it was a boy! The goods were there and he was so perfect! I think I pushed for a little over an hour. Travis cut the cord, they wrapped him up and put a hat on him. We called the family up and the girls came to meet him first. Everyone was so excited. We gave everyone a chance to meet him and then the midwives and the family went down for a snack while I nursed. After he nursed they came up to weigh and measure him and check me out. We both were great! It was a great experience and we have a beautiful baby boy!

If you are one of my girlfriends who wants to hear the full birth story email me at kjohnson@life-pointe.com!


Laboring in the water (7 cm)
Checking Blake's temperatureReady for a check upDressing Blake
The big weigh in
BIG baby!
Everything looked great!and sounded greatAll THREE of my kids! (This picture is for everyone who said how great I looked after I gave birth... I looked like a hag!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Kelly don't see no hag. You look beautiful :)

Jill Brochard said...

I don't see a hag either!! Good job momma!